Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Saturday May 11, 2011---encounter with SPIDER OF DEATH

I didnt go anywhere for the weekend. Was planning on seeing some sweet waterfalls today but my friends bailed. I was anti-typical-Lauren and I wasnt lazy and I actually got out of bed at 8 to go for a run. This one was a lot easier than last week. I went for a nice 40 minute jog through the city. Of course it is like an off road experience because of the roads/sidewalks SUCK. But its all good since I didnt hurt an ankle yet.

Last night Les, who was in Antigua also last year, told me about the spiders and cockroaches he has found in the shower. I laughed at him and say havent seen any bugs in the shower, none except for a few mosquitos. So this morning when I pulled back the shower curtain, I remebered what he had said. So I checked out the walls and ceiling. I laughed. No spiders yup.... was in the shower for about 10 seconds when I realized there was a BIG spider on the shower curtain. Take a look at what I found.
http://www.travelpod.com/travel-photo/our_oyster/1/1288458997/me-and-the-huge-cave-spider.jpg/tpod.html
This isnt EXACTLY what I found. The body of the one I saw was wider and more horizontal. But it had the pincher front claws, longer than its legs as antennas adn then 6 other legs. Yup lets just say that I got out of that shower. I stared at it for a long time and debated on killing it. I hate killing things so I knocked on the Chi-Chins door and Les' door and no one was home. I decided to go eat lunch instead. Les came home first and he said he hated bugs and not to bother him with them. But his friend was there and she made him do it. :) I showered in the different shower anyways. Ha the door ended up locking itself shut and Ingrid wasnt home with the keys.

This spider was at least 6 inches long! It was the same type I found in my room, but the one in my room was like a 4 or 5 incher. haha EEEK. I am reconsidering my desire to live abroad in a tropical country for a long period of time. I either need to find a way to get rid of the bug in my room or be able to kill. Ill think about this decision.

I just hung out around the city in the afternoon, went to teh internet cafe, ate BEST PINEAPPLE EVER off a street car for Q5, 75 cents, ate a apple filled pastery for Q6, looked for a charger for my camera because mine is dumb and broke after using it 5x once I bought it from ebay. I found one universal charger at the 1 out of 3 stores for Q370 which is about $50 I decided to wait and see if I had any other options.

After dinner I got driven on the moped by Ingrid to Katie's and Yusef's house for their goodbye cake. I had to bring the suitcase with me so that was interesting to have on my back as I rode on the moped. When we went over the speed bumps, I had to stand up on the bump because the back wheel couldn't get over the bump and sit back down quickly before the moped left. We were going to go to Cafe No Se, but we ended up chilling at the house and talking with the host parents. I had THE best hot coco that Alen, the host dad made. I talked to the host mom about Antigua. She told me that the current mayor of Antigua was mayor for 8 years, president for 4 and mayor for another 8 years. She said that he had a lot of money but has done lots of good with preserving the tourists and keeping up the city. I asked her what some bright lights were on the side of a mountain and she told me it was where rich people lived and where people have weddings. She also told me that if the rich want to come to Antigua for a cup of coffee, that they will take a helicopter to Antigua rather than driving through the windy roads. I am not sure how true that story is but interesting none the less. Alen performed a cool magic trick where he took his lit cigarette, put it out with water and crumpled it with his hands and when he opened his hands there was a 20 dollar bill. They were kind enough to drive me home because their other house is close to where I live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment