Sunday, June 5, 2011

Saturday June 4, 2011

I woke up and went for a run. The first time Ive excerised in a month and 3 days. Last time was my half marathon. This run was rough. Not for my legs but my lungs. It wasnt that I was gasping for air. I was taking deep breaths... it just felt like I wasnt getting enough oxygen. I know Im out of shape but it was the strangest feeling ever. The elevation in Minneapolis is aroudn 700. Here its 5100. So Im going it was a combination that it was an elevation thing and that I havent lifted a finger in over a month. I ran for a half an hour but had to stop twice to catch my breath. :( oops

I then went to the market with Ingrid. They sell EVERYTHING there. It is huge and filled with lots of people selling the same thing. I do not know how she navigated it, but it was amazing. I was so lost. There are little booths where people sell things. Also people walk through selling corn and herbs. Another strategy I saw was in the open air part a lady plopped herself in the middle and was selling strawberries. A lady in a wheelchair also parked in the middle asking people for money. The smell was HORRIBLE by the meat. There was just slabs of hanging meat not refrigerated in anyway. And they werent refrigerated Im guessing on the way to the market. People cant buy too much because they have to carry it all home because most dont drive there. The best days to go to the market are Monday, Thursday, and Saturday. These days the people from the farms and slaughter houses go to villages and sell their product to the middle man who then sell to the people. Its best to go these days because its fresher and if they are running low on a product they can charge you more. On the way to the market on the main road there was a political rally for partido pátriotica... patriotic party. There are tons of political parties here adn 5 main ones.

I had class today to make up for the time I missed on the El Salvador trip. And of course got the cookies.







Pictures of the market are included:

https://picasaweb.google.com/102053822137252130189/MyNewHomeAntiguaGuatemala?authkey=Gv1sRgCND_npHngdii9gE&feat=directlink

No comments:

Post a Comment