Monday, June 27, 2011

Monday June 13, 2011

VOLUNTEERING
Today there were some volunteers in the classroom from the US. It was a younger teenage girl and her mom who was I think old enough to be a grandma. They were only in Guatemala for a week and were doing all sorts of weird short volunteer stuff. They had a really sweet project for the kids. They read them a story about animals and then had a fish made out of a paper plate. The kids were to decorate it with finger paint. Nice idea, but poorly executed. The mom was high strung and made me stressed. While she was ready the book, she was dictating to her daughter to take pictures. She didn’t just say it once, she specified the angle she wanted and to make sure to get the kids in. She also had a horrendous accent that I could at times barely understand. And it was for some of the most simple and basic words too like azul. She also didn’t give the kids much time to work on the project until she came around and grabbed their hand and made lots of dots for them. She also had suggestions on the color choice the kids were using. To me, if a kid wants an all green fish that’s fine. It didn’t have to be a colorful fish. She thought othewise. It was also funny. She mistaken the atol for soap to wipe down the tables.

SPANISH CLASS
I called Paty in time to cancel class because I was going to go mountain biking. I went to the place and they asked me if I had ever gone and I said just to class. They wanted to see if I could ride down steps so we went to el parque de tanque. I did one step at first and then a double set. He said I’d be fine but he cancelled because he thought there was going to be a storm. It turned out it passed over but I’m glad we didn’t risk it because I’d rather not be hit by lightening. I ran into Paty at school because she got stuck there in the rain and didn’t want to go home so I was able to make up my Spanish class.

We went to a camera store. We found a universal charger and a battery for Q295 each which was cheaper than the first place and I was happy to save Q75. But since I didn’t have my charger, the guy couldn’t tell if it was my battery that was broken or the charger. So he told me to bring back the charger the next day and he would help me. Paty didn’t know that I was looking for anysort of charger and not a specific one. She mentioned to me that she had a universal battery charger at her house and she could see if it worked with mine. Her husband had bought it at the market for Q35.

HOME
I watched Dr. G with Marina and Les joined. Following Dr. G is 1000 ways to die. The episdoe that was one Les had already seen. It was about a girl that got a botched boobjob. Instead of cylicone it was water inside. So when she took a plane two weeks after surgery, the air inside the water began to expand within her chest. They ended up exploding and of course she died. I guess it was a super bloody episode and we didn’t want Emily to see it so we switched the channel because Marina had stepped out to get a a phone call. When she came back and still wanted to watch it, we offered to watch a movie with Emily in the other room. Sadly the only Disney options were Alvin the Chipmunk 2, the real person Alice, and Barbie Thumbilina. She chose Thumbilina. It wasn’t however the real thumbilina I know. It was about these little fairies who got taken to the city because their patch of flowers was wanted by a spoiled girl with powerful parents. The fairy’s job was to get the girl to convince her parents to stop the project that would destroy the fairies’ home. Luckliy we didn’t finish it because Emily got tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment