Sunday, June 5, 2011

Friday June 3, 2011

The teacher from the pre-school asked me to bring in a watermelon or a papaya today for the kids for their final activity for the letter O. I chose watermelon cause I think papayas are kind of stinky. The kids had to cut out an O out of their watermelon.. then they decorated it with corn flakes adn powdered chocolate... I just ate teh watermelon plain but for some reason the kids loved chocolate covered watermelon with cornflakes.

We had visitors in class today. At the volunteer site there is an extended family of 22 that was here the past week. They come down every other year. 3 teenagers and their mom came to visit our classroom for their last day. They only were there for a little under 3 hours and Im suprised at how uninteractive they were with the kids. They did their posing with the kids in their laps and took their pictures. I told one of the girls who started to do the dishes that I would do them so they could play with the kids. When I went outside 3 of them were sitting down and not interacting with the kids when the kids were asking to be pushed. I was suprised at how tired out they got and that they couldnt play with them after they interupted the teachers lesson and were causing the kids to be distracted. The people were really nice, Im just not sure if a 3 hour visit is worth the time. I guess the kids get to have fun with more adults for a while... but one knew a little spanish and the others just a few words. So there was much confusion in the interactions. One of the americans was shouting left at the kid to turn left as he was being pushed. I had to tell him 4 times before he stopped speaking english to the boy. I mean what I am doing is pretty short term... but I think it is a wee bit more helpful to the teacher than a 3 hours.

Marina was able to come home and I saw here when I came home from lunch. She is in pain but can walk around.

At home I played memory again. And when I got only the second pair out of 30 pairs... emily almost started crying again because she thought it was her turn to go and I took her pair. Luckily we only played one round of that and we went onto coloring. She liked my flowers and wanted me to teach her. But its impossible for a 6 year old to draw good flowers and color in the lines... so she had to deal with hers. I made a drawing for both girls and in return they both made me one.The are standing on my desk in my room.

No comments:

Post a Comment