Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Saturday May 28, 2011---El Zonte, El Salvador

We woke up at a bright and early 6:45 to surf. There was about 9 Americans in our group learning how to surf. People in my room put in their order for food as I enjoyed my free Nature Valley Granola Bar. We were ready by 7:30 and walked with all the instructors about 7 minutes to the place where we surfed. The ocean was beautiful and the sand was black. It was a great place to be for the weekend. First we had one instructor teach us on land in English how to properly stand up on the board. Then afterwards we had our one on  one lessons in the water.  However during the land lesson, the hotel´s dogs followed us to the beach and were digging trenches around 5 inch rocks and also playing fetch with them. It was the funniest thing I have ever seen. And they wouldn´t accept any rock on the beach. They needed their specific rock.

My instructor didn´t speak English and that was fine with me. I was able to communicate perfectly and he helped me learn some new words with some struggle. But it was all good. Some people didn´t even talk to their instructors and didn´t know when to go sometimes and would catch the wrong wave. The current was a LOT stronger than when I went surfing in Mexico. It would prevent me from walking forward and I would be leaning in place. Sometimes I couldn´t even hold my place and it pushed me backwards. So getting far enough out was a tiring process. First half of the lesson I wasn´t getting up everytime, but by the end I caught and stood up on 5 waves in a row. The cool thing was each time I was in the ocean, my nose cleared up and I could breathe. However as soon as I left the ocean, it was back to stuffy nose. We left the beach after an hour of being in the water and hung out around the pool. I went above the restaurant and studied some Spanish as I watched the waves role in. After lunch I took a nap because I had a head ache. I figured later on that being in the ocean gave me a head ache for some reason.

We went back to the beach, and I had WAAAY to much fun in the waves. I probably spent an hour or so just hanging out in the ocean and jumping over and going under the waves with two kids from my group. I looked like such a little kid. Oh and it was just GRAND. On our way to the beach, I was joking about sharks. And the kid standing next to me is from New Mexico. And apparently NO ONE sees sharks in the area that he lives. However... he actually knew a girl that was open water swimming and got her leg bit off. Her swimming partner swam her to shore, but it was too late and she bled to death. You aren´t supposed to actually know someone who has experienced a shark attack. Its just supposed to be on the Discovery Channel. But I still went in the water... but sharks were on the back of my mind every now and then because you cannot even see 5 inches beneath the water´s surface.

They told us that you couldnt really see the sunset so we weren´t going to go to the ocean for it. But then we saw some color in the sky and as we roudned the bend we watched a beautiful sunset. We couldn´t see the actual sunset because it was behind the mountains and out of view, but the clouds were spectacular.

We had a chill night because we were starting lessons at 7 am the next day. We just played cards on the upper level and enjoyed the night breeze.

The food was actually in expensive. I had WAY too many fruit smoothies because they only cost $1.60 for a huge glass and that was way to good to pass up. And they were no sugar added smoothies so they were legit. Sadly I was sick on the trip and couldn´t taste one meal and one strawberry milkshake. But I am sure it was great. Otherwise I ate pretty American. Thank goodness :) I don´t know why but I crave American food insanely! I had pasta with pesto, alfraedo, pizza, and banana pancakes. The banana pancakes I make taste better though.

Fun facts:
1. It is winter/the rainy season right now. However it is colder in ¨summer.¨ I think what I got out of it was that they call it winter because of the rain.. makes me wonder if the origen of the word winter/invierno doesnt imply cold but rather precipitation falling from the sky... haha just a hunch...
2. It was quite rocky in some spots but they told me that it gets even more rockier in 2 months because in the winter the waves are bigger and rougher. They move the sand and uncover the rocks underneath.

No comments:

Post a Comment