Monday, May 23, 2011

Sunday May 22, 2011--private boat tour on Lake Atitlan

We went to our boat tour at 8 am. For a private boat tour.. just the four of us, it was $15 a piece from 8-3:30. The public one was about $10 and we could only stay at each city for an hour 15, 5 cities total. We chose to go to 3 cities for the time that we wanted. First we went to San Marcos and jumped off a cliff. I took the longest to go and many tries to get to the edge. Everyone else jumped on their first time. It took me at least 2 mintues. There is a video of me that lasted 1 minute 10 seconds... and then there is a pause of no video and then finally i run to the edge and instead of jumpng I pathetically do a hesitated step off. Everyone else did the running jump but I couldn´t I jumped off only twice because the second landing hurt a lot. It wasn´t quite cliff jumping because there was a platform..but I still think it counts.

Shout out to Auntie Karen: Cloudberry went cliff jumping. Some how my friends are going along with it. Ha they looked at me funny at first... but when they realized how fun Cloudberry can be, they are all about getting good pics. It wasnt even my idea for him to participate. But there is a great picture I hope to upload in a week or so.

We walked along the path and it was BEAUTIFUL!!!! Getting to the jump was interesting because a white person told us that we didn´t have to pay and then there was a guy saying we had to. So ended up paying Q10 and he told us no, that foreingers had to pay Q15 which was awkard because the white guy was telling us it was illegal to charge differently based upon skin color... we just paid because we wanted to go. A little boy named Nelson led us around. We would not have found the cliff without him. When we went back to the boat, it wasn´t working so we went to lunch while we waited. We treated Nelson to spaghetti. He was so excited. At the place we chose, it was simply 2 tables. They didn´t have any meat to serve and couldn´t serve all that was on the menu. And according to what we ordered, they had to go buy certan ingredients, like tomatoe paste, a fanta. We decided to stay to help them with their business even though the menu was limited.I didnt eat as much pizza and gave nelson my leftovers to go. He was really excited. He ended up giving some of his tip to other kids and some of his pizza too. He was 11 years old, knew some english and was still in school. He just worked on the weekends.

San Juan was nothing special, at least that we could find. Its hard because there aren´t that many tourists and people speaking English and the tuk tuk drivers can take advantage of you, which happened at the other town in Santiago. They told us a tuk tuk ride was Q5 and tehn it ended up being 40 because of each stop we went to. They asked if we wnated to see a mayan god, of course I wanted to.. it ended up being in a house with people drinking bears and insense being burning and we couldnt even take a picture unless we paid Q10. We only had 3 stops but they somehow charged us Q40 each. They dropped us off where we didn´t want and tehn we were lost for about 25 minutes. We got lots of different directions. We ended up shopping the rest of the time. I couldn´t decide on the painting I wanted, but I did buy a wooden heron with a fish in its mouth. It was about 2.5 feet tall.

Wetook the windy bus back. Wore our seatbelts of course. For dinner we went to El mono loco and had nachos, one of the biggest tourist bars there. One order of nachos was good to feed 4 people. I got home at 9:30 and everyone in my house was already in their rooms. They must go to bed super early.

No comments:

Post a Comment