Sunday, May 22, 2011

Thursday May 19, 2011

I woke up and took the bus to the school on my own with no problem. However on the way to the bus stop  and to my class, I have to pass 1 to 2 guys standing with shot guns. They are just standing against the wall on the same side that I use. So its been a little awkward getting used to that but for the people of Antigua its normal. There are also the municipal police that drive around along with army. There is also tourist police. So apparently its supposed to be very safe, just kind of awkward since I'm not used to our law enforcement having shot guns and rifles in neighborhoods.

I was going to go to Tikal which has ruins and supposed to be phenomenal. It is north of where I am. But Zeta, involved in drugs, is believed to be responsible for the recent 26 person execution. I saw in the newspaper here that there was a message written in blood on a public wall, but I did not understand it. And Tikal is close enough nearby that the head of Common Hope told me as an Guatemalan she wouldn't even go.

I did the usual at school. Served the snacks and washed the dishes. One of the teachers speaks decent English. Phrases here and there. I was doubting if I was even helping them because I kind of felt in the way. But as I was washing the dishes, she said I was very sweet and I could tell she really meant it. So it made me feel happy :) I got to play with the kids outside today. Their playground is on dirt. They have to spray it with a hose in the morning to prevent dust from coming up. And still the kids come back covered. Before entering the classroom, the kids have to wipe their shoes off with a wipe, and then wash their hands and face. They promote hygiene very well here. They even have toothbrushes at the school but we've only used them once so far. The kids are dying for my attention and love having me push them on the swing or on their little cars/bikes.

Class was good. My teachers speaks slower for me, but I understand her perfectly. Every 3 minutes there will be a word I don't know and I'll ask her to stop and tell me what it means.

I had dinner with Ingrid, my mom. Usually its just her and the baby for breakfast and lunch, and sometimes even dinner. This time though Emily and Natalie joined me. They are more of a quiet family but started talking a little more to me.

I went out with the people from John's group. I had a pina colada. I was going to buy a hot dog and french fries... but I didnt have money. I don't know why but when I go out to eat I crave American food.

No comments:

Post a Comment